Wednesday 26 October 2011

New Post, Last Post

I just realised that I had forgotten to include ambience on my blog so I've put in a paragraph from my current PIO2 essay to cover my bases...

Ambience is described by Stroebele & De Castro (2004) as “parts of the environment that are hard to localise and that surround the organism integrally” (p.821). Ambience is the essence of an activity. The essence of an activity varies from person to person according to their personal interpretation of their occupations (Wicks & Whiteford, 2003). Many influences work together to determine these; life stories, personal history, culture, life-stage, and everything else that defines us as unique people. I find it easy to determine my own ambience in regards to baking. I feel as though it is something I have always done and will always do, but at the same time the reason that I have always done it is because of what it means to me. To me home is not where the heart is; it is where the baking is.

Wicks, A. & Whiteford, G. (2003). Value of life stories in occupation-based research. Australian            Occupational Therapy Journal, 50, 86-91.

Stroebele, N. & Castro, J. (2004). Effect of ambience on food intake and food choice. Nutrition, 20 (9), 821-838. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2004.05.012

No comments:

Post a Comment