Thursday 29 September 2011

Ramble Ramble Ramble...

So this week the topic of conversation circles around the question, what need does baking fill in my life?
I thought about it for a minute and then realised that I didn't think baking filled any particular needs in my life. But then I thought about it some more and realised that infact it did.

When I began baking (at a young, undentified age) it was because I liked it. It always got me so excited to bake bread, I was constantly amazed at things like yeast that made other things grow, and I used to sit in front of the oven and watch cakes, muffins, bread and biscuits spread then rise in the oven, however I was often a little bit too eager and so much of my baking resulted up being still slightly undercooked. The truth is I'm a very food-orientated person, lots of my best memories involve food, and I'm one of those people who clarify memories by food, ie typical conversation  "was that that time Liz brought those red velvet cupcakes? yes yes I remember that now".
 When I was a bit older I  baked for school lunches, I loved this as well as I felt it made me really important (even though it wasn't really important).
Now that I've moved away from home and I've got my own 'place' I cook to make it my home. I cook to use the ingredients and for satisfaction and to make nice smells to permeate the kitchen and lounge.  I cook for mastery and vanity (so people will say: "Yes, she's a very good cook") and if I need it an ego boost. In the winter I cooked because it made the kitchen warm and I could hang out in there without having to wear my puffer jacket.  However I do have to admit I don't really like eating baking. the other day I was standing in the kitchen and my flatmate asked me why I hadn't bothered to heat up my dinner (which was cold) and I thought about it and realised that the only meal I really make an effort to heat (if it needs it) is dessert. Any other food is just fuel, I don't really care what it looks or tastes like. Dessert however... mmm...
Today  I'm making a gingerbread house for a friend's birthday as a gift. I'm really excited, although I'm not quite sure how it's going to work. At the moment I plan to demonstrate (hopefully) Mastery and Fun.
Ciao

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pip,
    I think it is cool that your blog is very personal to you and your personal experience of baking, but I think we are supposed to write of the last time we participated in our activity and relate the content to that, maybe this is something you could think of for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooooo Pip!
    I quite enjoy reading your blog. I've been tending to read it as or just after I do mine to make sure I'm on the right track ;)
    You've identified an awesomely wide range of why baking is so important to you...you've had some awesome ideas that I wouldn't even have thought of - like the triggering memory one. I'm so much the same!! Could you link the post a bit more to affordances? You talkedin previous posts about how baking has sweet (pardon the pun!!) communication properties, and how it shows a lot of acceptance when you allow someone to bake with you (thinking of the RS kids). Aren't these both reasons as to why it's important to you? When you bake with someone (like you did the ginger bread house or some of the kids) do you think it establishes stronger relationships? Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete