Tuesday 20 September 2011

Errrgonomics! ! ! ! !

Somehow (I'm not sure how) I have already managed to miss a week of completing my blog so this week I'll have to make it up by writing two. It's actually harder than you'd think.
Sooo... Ergonomics is the topic for this blog. "So what exactly is ergonomics?" I hear you ask. Well I was just getting to that in my own awesome, sarcastic-yet-knowledgeable-while-still-being-cool-studenty kinda way. Rice (2008) defines ergonomics as optimising the relationship between the activity, the environment it is carried out in and the skills of the person completing it. this mattters to occupational therapists as we are required to “constantly make slight invisible adjustments to an activity to adapt to the needs of those taking part and ensure that it continues to work for its intended purpose” (Caulton & Dickson, 2007).
 So here we are:
Person:
I am competent,
I am young,
I have experience to adapt and change my own activity according to time or ingredients or needs/wants
I am organised
I am decisive
I have knowledge
and that is me.

Occupation:
Different levels of occupational engagement according to how I feel
Different levels of focus, attention or intricacy
I find baking has really good flow
Feelings differ greatly depending in what I can be bothered with, is it for lunches, for a party, as a gift?
can be individual or group task

Environment:
Kitchen, Specifically MY Kitchen; lots of bench space (to enable multiple things to be baked at same time)
Apron, essential part of environment as it always reminds me where I am and the context (ie I am in a kitchen. is it at my flat? my home? in an industrial kitchen? my gran's house? well the apron reminds me.
Loud music (so I can sing along, and get my baking mojo on).

That’s All Folks
Ciao

Caulton, R & Dickson, R. (2007). What's going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.) Contemporary issues in occupational therapy. Chichester: John-Wiley.
Rice, V. (2008 ). Ergonomics and therapy:an introduction. In K. Jacobs(Ed) Ergonomics for therapists (3rd.ed). MO: Mosby.

No comments:

Post a Comment